Saturday 13 February 2016

Coconut Prawns with spicy lemon mayo - Spontaneous Entree.

Hi Guys!!

So, during the week, I had an unexpected visitor. 

I was just coming into my flat when across the road I saw a very familiar face. You know when you see someone, you can't quite remember the name (and believe me, I find it difficult to forget names), but  you're so sure of the face? Thats exactly what happened to me. 
So, I walked up to her, and said "Hello, forgive my intrusion, but I know I've met you before, I just can't quite remember your name", she looked at me and shouted "Oh my God!! Ada!! is that really you?" Now you can imagine, how I felt. She continued its me "Diy.... of course, that certainly didn't help. But then she said a few more things and then it suddenly clicked....and oh yeah, her name is Diane (at least thats what I knew her as). 

So, we got talking and told her I lived just across the street, and she wanted to come check my place out. Now, this was the first time I've had an unexpected visitor in my place, cos I usually get ready to play hostess. I kinda had to think of something I could make, that 1. wouldn't take too much time, 2. we could both share (cos I was hungry too), and 3. still looked good. Thats when I decided to make my coconut king prawns.


Its so tasty and easy to make, it just requires a handful of ingredients.  They can be eaten alone, or with the dipping sauce. Oh yeah, the avocado, I'll be adding that to the main course I eventually made for us, so don't forget to check that out too.

Heres how I did it.

Ingredients

  • 7-10 raw king prawns (de-vained and cleaned)
  • Tempura batter (1 tbsp flour + 1 tbsp corn flour + 1 tsp baking powder + 3 tbsps of sparkling water or beer)
  • 1/2 cup of Desiccated coconut
  • 1/3 cup of flour (optional)
  • A pinch of salt and pepper
  • 2 cups of vegetable oil (any frying oil would do)
  • Chopped cilantro/coriander for garnish (optional)
Dipping sauce

  • 2.5 tbsps of Mayonnaise
  • 4 drops of siracha (chilli sauce)
  • A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
  • Chopped cilantro/ coriander
Instructions

  1. In a bowl, add the desiccated coconut and flour together, and mix well. Make the tempura batter and keep along side it.
    Arranged prawn, 1 prawn in batter and coconut coating
  2. Season the prawns with salt and pepper. 
    Seasoned prawns
  3. Dip the prawns individually into the tempura batter, and then into the coconut and flour  and coat it well.
    Batter coated prawns  entering the coconut & flour coating

    Coating the prawns with the coconut

    Coconut coated prawns
  4. Heat up the frying oil, and then place the coated prawns into it, and allow to fry for  about 2 minutes on each side or till its golden brown.
    Prawns frying in the oil
  5. Make the dipping sauce by combing all the ingredients together, and set aside.
  6. Remove the prawns from the frying oil, and place on a kitchen towel to allow the oil drain.
    Golden brown prawns on kitchen towel
  7. Serve  the prawns on a platter with the dipping sauce and garnish with the chopped cilantro leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment