Saturday 19 December 2015

Its Crispy Prawn & Jellof Rice- Made ridiculously easy

Hi Guys!!!


So I had a long day at work today, and I came home hungry and exhausted. I had branched into Tesco on my way back and just picked up some cooked king prawns. Im getting a bit tired of chicken at the moment, so decided to try something different. I really didn't want to start making anything that would keep me in the kitchen longer than 30 minutes, so I figured a nice surf and turf would be perfect. 

Now remember, I said I didn't want anything too fancy or time consuming, so my turf isn't going to be a nice juicy steak or fillet minion ooh....its simply my old best friend bacon





























Now I must admit, theres a little work to be done in the preparation, but thats my fault cos I wanted my prawns crispy and not plain. 

But for the entire preparation, I didn't use more than a pot and a pan for the cooking process. Even though I knew well and good that I could have just used one pot for it all. And ohh yeah, everything was done in under 30 minutes. 

So for this you'll need;

Ingredients
  • 2 bags of 62.5g uncle ben's long grain rice (boiled)
  • King prawns (as much or little as you want)(thawed)
  • Half a teaspoon of ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of salt
  • Half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
  • I tablespoon of corn flour
  • 2 Strips of bacon
  • Half a cup of chopped/crushed tomatoes
  • Half an onion (chopped or diced)
  • Half a cup of olive oil
  • Half a teaspoon of garlic granules 
  • Half a teaspoon of curry powder
  • 2 cubes of maggi or 1 cube of OXO chicken
  • Chopped parsley (garnish)

Instructions

  1. Place your king pawns in a small bowl, and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Add the cornflour to the prawns and toss it to combine well.
  2. Put half of the oil in a pan/wok and allow to heat up (but not smoke). Then transfer the coated prawns. Allow the prawns to become crispy, then remove then from the oil.
  3. Transfer the bacon in to the same pan and allow to sizzle away. Once its crispy enough, remove it from the oil.
  4. Toss in your chopped onions into the same oil, and allow it become tender. It would absorb those delicious bacon fat and fond (brownish stuff) stuck to the pan. You can add more oil if you wish.
  5. Add in your crushed tomatoes and allow it to cook for about five minutes. (Maggi cubes/OXO + Half cup of Water = Good stock). Add your stock into the tomato and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Add your curry powder and garlic granules.
  6. Transfer the bacon into the pan accompanied by the rice and mix well. Season with the remaining salt as desired.
  7. Once its hot enough and well combined, serve in a plate, top it with your crispy prawns, and of course a little parsley garnish never hurt.
Tips

Now, I know some people just can't stand the thought of mixing their rice, and would prefer to allow it cook. But remember, the rice is already cooked. Just imagine it as stir-fry. So unless you want your rice to turn to mush, stir that pot honey.

Also, theres nothing wrong in boiling your rice as soon as you start. Actually Uncle ben's only takes about 8-10 minutes to boil, which is still within my time range, especially if you're multi-tasking. 



This recipe is so deliciously easy, trust me....you'll be going in for seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment